I have never seasonally decorated my fireplace mantle ever in the 9 years since I lived in our house. Probably because we never use the fireplace (fake gas one) so we don’t sit in this area of my house. It has always been a kids play space. But this year I was inspired to do something with it. Nothing huge but something. During this process I realized that I really hate the mirrors above the mantle. They were there when we moved in and we were told that the mirrors help give the illusion of a bigger room. They are probably right. I have these grand dreams of renovating this space, however, until those dreams come true I will start with decorating my mantle so this year I’m creating my own DIY Phrase Blocks for my fall mantle.
I decided I wanted some kind of saying to be the focal point my seasonal fall mantle. I decided to tie in Thanksgiving since for Canadians it occurs in the beginning of October. I went to my local craft store and found some wooden blocks the right size, and I picked up different kinds and colours of stickers as I wasn’t sure what would look best. I also picked up a pumpkin basket and fake flowers to make an arrangement. The Tink or Treat pumpkin you see was actually bought by my husband on his last trip to the LA area where he had a chance to go shopping in downtown Disney. Cute, I know.
The part that took the longest was painting the blocks. I used a combination of acrylic paints I had for the brown and the red. But to get the aqua colour I actually used my kids crayola paint (see pic below).
Here are the blocks completed with Metallic Silver Stickers. I will find out how they hold up.
This is the only picture I have of everything off the mantle before the change.
And here it is all done. Although I’m still rearranging to see what I like best.
And in the spirit of Thanksgiving I thought I would finish with a Thankful for Ten List.
1. I am thankful for close family and friends to share in joy, laughter and to make memories.
2. I am thankful for my 3 incredibly wonderful children who bring a light into my life.
3. I am thankful for my loving husband who reminds me how blessed I am to share this life with him.
4. I am thankful for a good book and cup of coffee.
5. I am thankful for warm glorious fall afternoons.
6. I am thankful for my sister and her family who live close to us.
7. I am thankful for those who greet me with a smile during the day.
8. I am thankful for warm wooly socks when my feet get cold.
9. I am thankful for my education.
10. I am thankful that it is in our means for me to be a SAHM right now.
One more, I’m thankful some readers stop by and read my little corner of the blogosphere. It is much appreciated.
This post has been linked up at Motivational Monday Party