Does your family have a favourite dessert? Mine definitely does. A few years ago when my kids were a little smaller I picked up this container of Best-Ever Kid Recipes made by Favorite Brand Recipes. It is divided as you can see into different sections below. Breakfast, lunch, snacks, dinner and desserts. I tried a few recipes out of it but by far the most popular one was Flower Power Strawberry Cake. Not only do I have to make this cake for my husband and kids but grandma, grandpa and aunts and uncles request this cake as well. Even if you are not a baker you can make this cake.
1box of white cake mix with no pudding inside
12oz of strawberry yogurt
1 package (4 serving size) of Strawberry gelatin
1 tub of thawed Coolwhip
1/3 cup of vegetable oil
Fresh strawberries to place on top of whipped topping (depends on size of cake and strawberries, recipe says 13)
I have made this cake with various brands of yogurt and some worked better than others. My family doesn’t like the yogurt with chunks in it. I usually use this Activia but I actually prefer if I can find a brand with creamy strawberry, so you might have to try it a few times to actually see which brand makes your cake taste the best.
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease 13×9 inch baking pan; set aside.
2. Beat cake mix, yogurt, eggs, oil, and gelatin in large bowl with electric mixer at low speed for about 1 minute or until blended. Increase speed to medium; beat 1-2 minutes or until smooth. Spread batter in prepared pan.
3. Bake 38-43 minutes (oven times may vary) or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on wire rack.
4. Spread thawed Coolwhip topping on cooled cake as desired.
5. Cut strawberries into your desired shape. To make the strawberry flowers: cut strawberries lengthwise into 6 wedges, arrange on cake with pointed ends towards center. Tint reserved whipped topping with yellow food colouring; place in piping bag or ziploc bag with a small corner cut off. Pipe dot in center of flower. *i have never made the strawberry flowers but those are the instructions from the card.
Recipe is from Favorite Brand Recipes: Best-Ever Kid Recipes Box. Publications International, Ltd. 2008
Hope you enjoy as much as my family does! You can also find me on Pinterest.
Educator, Writer, Blogger, Mom
Contact Me: firstname.lastname@example.org